FANDOM


  • Out of the three games, which one is your favourite and why?

    For me, I have to say all of them are my favourite, but I do have a preference to Cataclysm. I think it's because of the time compression feature which speeds up a lot of the boring parts and gets the missions done faster, not to mention that getting a near infinite level of RU's is pretty easy since ships are cheap and there are many RU's early on.

      Loading editor
    • I actually kind of like Cataclysm a lot too. I prefer Homeworld overall, but I feel Cataclysm expanded the universe in a way that Homeworld 2 failed to. I also may have had an affinty for the game given my predilection for cosmic horror, though it wasn't something I realized until many, many years later.

      I'm still disappointed Gearbox apparently hasn't been able to acquire the source code for a remastered version of the game, though I understand there are some unusual circumstances given the developer was Barking Dog rather than Relic.

        Loading editor
    • Niirfa-sa wrote: I actually kind of like Cataclysm a lot too. I prefer Homeworld overall, but I feel Cataclysm expanded the universe in a way that Homeworld 2 failed to. I also may have had an affinty for the game given my predilection for cosmic horror, though it wasn't something I realized until many, many years later.

      The first Homeworld was good for the high difficulty of some missions and Cataclysm was definitely up there for expanding the universe to make a believable plotline (even though it sucked in difficulty, as the missions actually got progressively easier to complete).

      I'm still disappointed Gearbox apparently hasn't been able to acquire the source code for a remastered version of the game, though I understand there are some unusual circumstances given the developer was Barking Dog rather than Relic.

      Yeah, it would be great if the source could be found again and at least, a remastered Cataclysm would be good to see! :D

        Loading editor
    • I liked Homeworld the most. Homeworld was the first video game with which I emotionally connected. (I played Final Fantasy VII many years later.) It didn't have much of a story but it was effective. Homeworld 2 and Cataclysm both suffered in that department. Their stories were awful.

      I liked Cataclysm the least. It was "Homeworld" only in the name. Its story too thin and all its gameplay improvements reminded me that it was a Homeworld rip-off.

        Loading editor
    • How, exactly, can it be a 'Homeworld rip-off' when it was produced as part of the series by the producers of the franchise? Also it's merely your opinion that the story for Cataclysm was 'awful'. As is evident from the other commenters, plenty of people liked the story for Cataclysm and thought it was quality storytelling. I rewatched a few points in the story, myself, recently, and was reminded of how involved the plot was for it.

      Homeworld 2 suffered too much from Sierra/Vivendi interference to surpass HW1 or HWCata storywriting, in my opinion. People who were involved in both HW1 and Cataclysm were not brought in for Homeworld 2's story, and they tried very hard to retcon even details in HW1. It was just such a poorly-executed writing effort that felt like George Lucas trying to Special Edition his movies.

        Loading editor
    • 71.244.135.210 wrote:
      How, exactly, can it be a 'Homeworld rip-off' when it was produced as part of the series by the producers of the franchise?

      It was not. It was produced by Barking Dog Studio. The producer of the franchise is Relic Entertainment.

      No surprise Catalcysm contradicts Homeworld 2.

        Loading editor
    • Fleet Command wrote:

      71.244.135.210 wrote:
      How, exactly, can it be a 'Homeworld rip-off' when it was produced as part of the series by the producers of the franchise?

      It was not. It was produced by Barking Dog Studio. The producer of the franchise is Relic Entertainment.

      Except that Relic developers were involved with Barking Dog creating Cataclysm and specifically asked them to develop the game.

      Homeworld 2 contradicts everything because its story is poorly written. Cataclysm made a good effort to continue the storyline from Homeworld, and expand upon the obvious struggles that they experienced. HW2 just jumped forward 100 years and said "this is the end time because a core was found", and seemed to ignore many things that happened.

        Loading editor
    • SuperSajuuk wrote:

      Except that Relic developers were involved with Barking Dog creating Cataclysm and specifically asked them to develop the game.

      Well, if you say so, I have all the more reason to believe otherwise. But do feel free to show me a source.

      Nevertheless, you asked a question and I responded: I like Homeworld the most and Cataclysm the least. (That's for single player games. As for multiplayer, the entire franchise is not worth playing.)

        Loading editor
    • sorry if i dont posses 100% knowledge about canon but why does hw2 contradict cataclysm?

        Loading editor
    • Xajmai wrote: sorry if i dont posses 100% knowledge about canon but why does hw2 contradict cataclysm?

      That's because HW2 makes no real mention towards anything that happened in Cataclysm, and that Cataclysm was not made by Relic themselves, but another company who were advised by Relic.

        Loading editor
    • SuperSajuuk wrote:

      Xajmai wrote: sorry if i dont posses 100% knowledge about canon but why does hw2 contradict cataclysm?

      That's because HW2 makes no real mention towards anything that happened in Cataclysm, and that Cataclysm was not made by Relic themselves, but another company who were advised by Relic.

      Just because HW2 didn't mention happenings in Cata, doesn't mean there's contradictions, just minor plot holes. (which happen between just about every sequal game out there to some extent)

        Loading editor
    • But Cataclysm wasn't an actual sequel, it was a side-story and not developed by the same people. HW2 is the only actual sequel to HW1 and even then, HW2 tries to interject its own lore into established HW1 lore.

        Loading editor
    • The big problem with HWll story is with the cores. There are only 3 of these special cores but it never really ties in with HW and why these are so special. HW does not say anything about only 3 cores or that there are special cores. It tells you that the core for the Mothership was their own and that the tech was reverse engineered from the wreckage. There were many exiled ships that all had the same tech. It led you to believe that there are many cores and they are not unique. No mention of a special core being found on Karak, or any core for that matter. The Kushan built it.

        Loading editor
    • That's about right. They built it and engraved the names of people who lost their lives during Mothership construction on it. However, the exiled ships didn't have any cores at all. They traveled on conventional drives.

        Loading editor
    • Homeworld was highly praised for its mystical atmosphere. It was constructed like an old epic, using dignified language, depicting the struggle of an entire people in the crucial moment of its existence. It was disappointing that Homeworld 2 went with the clichéd "ancient prophesy" approach.

      Bentusi mass suicide felt forced. They could easily jump with the Mothership half the galaxy away using their Cores; something that the Keepers obviously lacked; and given theirs away in more peaceful circumstances. But the prophesy, our destiny is fulfilled... oh come on! You don't genocide you own species over old poetry.

      That said, I still enjoyed the game, probably on par with the original Homeworld, which had its own issues.

        Loading editor
    • From what I've read of the Cataclysm synopsis, I do find that it and Homeworld I are equals in story-telling and gameplay. Homeworld II has inferior gameplay, an inferior storyline, and is a far inferior sequel overall. I mean, it's fun, don't get me wrong, but the story pisses me off because of how cliched and boring it was. 

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message